Home>Support>Update to Page Builder 2.4 Breaks WP Widgets Dashboard Section

Update to Page Builder 2.4 Breaks WP Widgets Dashboard Section

I just updated the SiteOrigin Page Builder plugin to 2.4 and my (WP v4.4.2) widgets dashboard no longer functions properly. I tried deactivating the SO PB plugin and the widgets dashboard began to work properly. Reactivating the plugin reverted the widgets dashboard back to non-functional.

The problem on the widgets dashboard is that all UI functionality is no longer present. I am unable to expand, collapse, move, or modify any widgets. Furthermore, when in the widgets section and hovering over the left-hand dashboard links, the child links do not pop out until the parent link is clicked

Is anybody else experiencing this or was able to resolve?

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

So sorry for the hassle.

We believe we’ve found the issue. Greg will push the update tomorrow morning GMT+2.

If you need to work right now you could delete Page Builder from Plugins after deactivating it and then install the previous version via Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin. The previous, stable version is here:

https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/siteorigin-panels.2.3.2.zip

2. 8 years, 6 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

I actually haven’t encountered this particular issue, but it’s possible the 2.4.1 update will fix this for you. Would it be possible for you to manually install the update to check if this solves the issues for you?

1. In your WordPress admin, navigate to PluginsInstalled.
    2. Deactivate Page Builder, then delete it to make sure you can install the new version.
    3. Download a copy of 2.4.1: https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/siteorigin-panels.2.4.1.zip
    4. Navigate to PluginsAdd New. Click Upload Plugin, then select and install the 2.4.1 zip file you downloaded.

Thanks for taking the time to check! Please let us know if this solves the issues you were experiencing. If not, I’ll dive a little deeper into what could be causing it.

3. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Hello Gents,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I just got back to my computer and saw that there was an update available to the plugin. Before reading these replies, I just assumed that others had similar problems and this issue would be resolved with the update. I went ahead and updated via the WP dashboard and nothing has changed.

I can go ahead and make the changes you asked for, but Id first like to make sure that none of my data will be deleted. I understand that the site will be broken for a few minutes while I remove the plugin, but will everything go right back to normal upon re-installation of the plugin or will I have to recreate pages?

Thanks again,
    Steven

4. 8 years, 6 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

If you’re already using 2.4.2 from the automatic update, then you should be fine. Can you try clearing your browser cache and see if that helps?

https://codex.wordpress.org/I_Make_Changes_and_Nothing_Happens

If that doesn’t do the trick, let me know and we’ll take a look.

5. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Hi Greg,

Yes, Im on 2.4.2 and Ive cleared my cache. The problem persists on Chrome and Firefox (windows env).

6. 8 years, 6 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Can you check if you’re getting any Javascript errors?

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Your_Browser_to_Diagnose_JavaScript_Errors#Step_3:_Diagnosis

7. 8 years, 6 months ago Private Message - Steven

This is a private message.

8. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

I just want to confirm that my last message was received. I set it as a private reply and not sure if youre able to read it. Please let me know if you need anything further from me at this point.

9. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Hello, I was just wondering if youd be able to provide any further assistance or if Im stuck at my current point.

10. 8 years, 6 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

That’s an odd error. Basically, it’s saying that jQuery, Backbone.js and Underscore.js are all missing. The reason the interface is breaking when Page Builder is active is because it needs all 3 of those for the Layout Widget. Them not being available is causing problems. It’s possible that another plugin is deregistering/removing these libraries.

Can you try disabling all non-SiteOrigin plugins and see if this fixes the issue? You’ll need to clear all your caches after disabling your plugins.

If it does fix the issue, then try re-enabling your plugins one by one until the issue comes back. This procedure will help diagnose which plugin is causing the issue.

Once we know that, we’ll be able to look at what might be causing the conflict and either solve the problem or help you find an alternative plugin.

If you aren’t using a SiteOrigin theme, then you can also try temporarily switching to one of the default WordPress themes to see if the issue is theme related.

11. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Ive tried disabling all plugins except SiteOrigin (with complete cache clearing) and tried setting the theme to the default 2016 that comes with WP. No change to the broken Widgets UI. Only when I disable the Page Builder plugin does the issue go away.

12. 8 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

Would it be possible for you to create a temporary admin account for us so we can log in and take a look? You can create the account with the following email address:

[email protected]

Just navigate to UsersAdd New in your WordPress admin. Enter siteorigin for the username and [email protected] for the email address. Make sure you’ve selected Administrator for the role and enabled the Send Password field so we receive the details.

Once we’re finished taking a look, you can delete this account. We’ll let you know when to do that.

13. 8 years, 6 months ago Private Message - WordPress

14. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Done, Please let me know when I can delete the account. Thanks again for all the help!

15. 8 years, 6 months ago Private Message - Andrew Misplon Hi, I Work Here

16. 8 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

We’ve taken a long look at the problem. In the Widgets interface a whole series of required scripts that WordPress should be enqueuing, aren’t there. Unfortunately, this is an edge case situation and we’re unsure as to the reason these required scripts aren’t being loaded by WordPress. The next step to take would be to manually update WordPress, thereby restoring core files that might have been edited at some point, here is how:

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-manually-update-wordpress-using-ftp/

17. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

No core changes have been made at any point by me. Im currently unable to go through the manual WP update/restoration you suggested.

Would it be possible for me to revert to an older version of the Page Builder plugin without losing any of my data, configurations, etc..? I understand I’d have to deactivate, uninstall, and then delete the plugins directory, but I want to be sure that, once I upload and install the previous versions zip, everything should work without me having to recreate/reconfigure things.

I think that this would be an ideal solution on my side for now considering the problem didnt exist previous to v2.4 and the other circumstances I mentioned.

Also, is it safe to delete that account or is there some chance youd need further access?

18. 8 years, 6 months ago Steven

Hi Andrew,

Would you be able to just let me know about my last question, whether any data or configurations are lost and require recreation/reconfiguration on uninstalling/deleting/reinstalling the Page Builder plugin.

Thank you,
    Steven

19. 8 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Yes, you can roll back. You can delete Page Builder after deactivating from Plugins in WordPress. Then, install the older version from Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin. 2.3.2 can be downloaded here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/developers/. No data will be lost. Let us know how that goes.

20. 8 years, 5 months ago Steven

Rollback completed and widget UI issue is no longer present. No data or configurations were lost in the process. Unfortunately, when updating from v2.3.2 to the latest, the widgets UI issue returns. I’ll stick to this version for now.

Thanks again for all your help. Im more than happy to offer any help you may need in resolving this issue if necessary in the future. Page Builder is an incredible WP plugin; keep up the great work!

Thanks,
    Steven

21. 8 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

I’m really sorry to here the issue persists. One way that we could investigate the challenge would be to ask you for a complete backup of your site using Duplicator: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. You could upload the results of your Duplicator backup to Dropbox or similar service and send me the link. It would allow me to fully recreate your site locally and perhaps get to the bottom of the issue. If this is something you’d ever like to try, please, reach out to me on email at Private Snippet and we could chat further.

22. 8 years, 5 months ago Steven

Happy to help, will email you shortly

23. 8 years, 5 months ago Private Message - Steven

24. 8 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

Apologies for the hassle. Let’s chat here if that’s ok. Have you perhaps had a moment to install Duplicator and create a backup? Would Dropbox work ok to uplaod those files for us?

Thanks for your help :)

25. 8 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Greg had a thought that the challenge you’ve run into might have to do with an older server PHP version. We’ve just fixed a bug of that nature. If possible, please, check your PHP version by going to PluginsAdd New and searching in the field top right for: Server IP & Memory Usage Display. Once installed and activated, scroll down to the footer in your WordPress admin, a new line will have been added, it’ll let you know which PHP version you’re running. Please, send that to us here.

26. 8 years, 5 months ago Private Message - Steven

27. 8 years, 5 months ago Steven

Just tried updating to the latest version of Page Builder.. No luck..

Yes, I’ll upload the package to dropbox and send you a link when ready. If the package is insanely large, I’ll send you a direct link to it on my server.

Are there any particular settings I should configure when creating a package via duplicator?

28. 8 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for trying and for confirming the PHP version.

No particular settings, just a standard Duplicator backup should be perfect. Thanks for your help.

29. 8 years, 5 months ago Private Message - Steven

• 8 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
      Hi, I Work Here

Awesome :) Thanks Steven, will take a look ASAP.

Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven

Sincere apologies for not coming back to you sooner. I’m having troubles downloading the installer.php file to check your installation. Could you perhaps send an update of where you currently stand with regards to Page Builder? Thanks.

30. 8 years, 5 months ago Simon Hay

Hi,

I am experiencing the issue of no Text edit buttons in Visual Editor. I tried rolling back to V2.3.2 as suggested in thsi thread but it made no difference.

Do you have a solution for this yet?

Cheers

31. 8 years, 5 months ago Simon Hay

Hi Again,

Just a quick update, when I deactivated the widget which allows editing of content using the TinyMCE editor a different set of text editing buttons appears in the visual editor. Still not the full set though. Not sure if this helps you in tracking down the issue.

Cheers

Hi, I Work Here

Hi Simon

We’d like to help you, but can you please start a new thread with your question? We can only offer you the best support possible when you’re the owner of a thread.

Page: New Thread

If you post the link to your new thread here I’ll be sure to bump it up the list. Thanks.

32. 8 years, 5 months ago Private Message - Simon Hay

Hi, I Work Here

Hi Simon

Really glad to hear you’ve made progress. If any further challenges come up or if you want to re-look at this issue, please, let us know.

All the best.

33. 8 years, 5 months ago Leon A Watson III

I am also experiencing issues with not being able to use the text edit feature for pagebuilder, I have tried to make multiple threads of this issue but they are never out of pending approval? I have been experiencing this for a few days I have tried all the stated solutions in past threads.

Hi, I Work Here

Hi Leon

I’ll reply to your thread shortly. Thanks :)

34. 8 years, 5 months ago Private Message - Steven

Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for your understanding. I think the core has been corrupted somehow at some point. Here is what has worked for me locally:

1. Backup your site.
      2. Download WP: https://wordpress.org/download/
      3. Login to your server, delete the wp-admin and wp-includes folders.
      4. Unzip the WordPress download and upload just the wp-admin and wp-includes folders to your server.

I tried everything else, this fixed the issue as far as I can see.

35. 8 years, 5 months ago Steven

Thanks Andrew! I’ll give that a shot and let you know how it goes.

36. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure. That worked for me so in theory it should also work on your server. Let me know how you come along :)

37. 8 years, 4 months ago Steven

Wish I had some better news.. Just tried the core update you suggested, but the issue remains… Had to revert back to v2.3.2 for proper Widget page functionality :\

38. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Really sorry to hear that. I’m also surprised. Can you perhaps run me through the steps you took via FTP?

39. 8 years, 4 months ago Steven

Sure, heres my entire process:

1. Updated to WP to 4.5.2 using WP dashboard
    2. Updated Page Builder using dashboard to confirm (no luck)
    3. Reverted Page Builder back to v2.3.2 (to have working env for backup)
    4. Downloaded WP v4.5.2 zip from wordpress.org
    5. Uncompressed WP zip locally
    6. Using FileZilla, deleted wp_admin and wp_includes directories
    7. Using filezilla, uploaded these two folders from the uncompressed zip
    8. Updated Page Builder using dashboard (still no luck)
    9. Reverted Page Builder back

Was making backups throughout, including backups of the folders I replaced via FTP. Is there anything specific along any of these steps youd like to know?

40. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for the effort. Let me chat to the team tomorrow and try figure out a way forward. So sorry for the hassle.

41. 8 years, 4 months ago Steven

No worries. Thanks as well for all the help so far.

42. 8 years, 3 months ago Steven

Hi Andrew. Hope all is well. Was wondering if there might have been any updates from your side regarding this issue Im experiencing with the Page Builder plugin. I had to do a WordPress update and figured Id try to see if it helps with the plugin.

1. With wordpress v4.5.2, I updated the plugin to the latest available version, 2.4.10
    2. Confirmed that the Widgets UI stops functioning properly
    3. Manually updated wordpress to v4.5.3, replacing all core files
    4. Confirmed wordpress upgrade was successful
    5. Widgets UI does not function properly (appears to be due to some jQuery errors)
    6. Downgrade plugin to v2.3.2
    7. Widgets UI works properly

Please let me know if there might be anyway I can support you or your team in resolving this issue.

43. 8 years, 2 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steve

Sorry we haven’t managed to resolve this yet. This is the issue:

Widgets UI does not function properly (appears to be due to some jQuery errors)

Specifically, the JavaScript errors. Have we had a look at your server error logs yet? They can usually be accessed through a hosting control panel like cPanel or requested from your hosting company. It might be a good place to start, again.

If a plugin conflict isn’t causing the JS errors and replacing the core WordPress files also doesn’t fix the JS errors then I’m not quite sure where to look next so the error logs might be the place to check next.

44. 8 years, 2 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Steven,

So I ran a few tests on your old duplicated website and was able to spot a way of resolving this issue. Please navigate to WP Admin > Appearance > Widgets and then click Clear Inactive Widgets which is in the Inactive widgets section. If this button is greyed out please place any widget there (drop and drag it). Then press clear inactive widgets. Then you should be able to upgrade without issue. Basically the contents of one of the old layout builder widgets had “funky” data that was causing the entire thing to fall over.

If this doesn’t help, would it be possible for you to duplicate your website again so I can run tests on a more recent version?

45. 8 years, 2 months ago Private Message - Steven

46. 8 years, 2 months ago Steven

Hi Alex, That did it! Thank you for pointing that out. Thanks to you, Andrew, and Greg for all the help!

47. 8 years, 2 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Yay Alex!!!

Thanks for hanging in there Steven. If anything else comes up, please, let us know.

Cheers for now.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More