As a couple others have noted in the last few days, we are no longer able to update any pages on any of the sites we manage that use SiteOrigin page builder and widget plugins.
We’ve completed the following to try and resolve the issues:
– As of a couple days ago, previewing or updating any page or post using siteorigin from within the WP editor results in a “400 Bad Request” error page
– We’ve setup a staging site and activated / deactivated each plugin to test this
– We’ve reviewed all error logs and there are no issues
– All themes, plugins and WP are up to date
– Sites are using “Create” by Themetrust and require SiteOrigin to be installed
– Yes we’ve cleared the cache
– We’ve contacted Siteground support twice, who repeated everything above, independently, and also concluded the issue is with the SiteOrigin plugin
Our clients cannot update any of their sites using this page builder. Please let us know what further info you require to resolve this issue. Thanks.
Thanks for getting in touch.
The most detailed thread on this topic can be found at https://wordpress.org/support/topic/siteorigin-siteground-400-error-issue/. The conclusion of the linked thread is the combination of Page Builder and All In One SEO is flagging a mod_security rule. We’ve done our best to recreate the issue, but it’s very challenging to make progress without access to the rule.
THANK YOU ANDREW!!! Massively appreciate the quick feedback. We’ve removed AIOSEO for now on the site that needs immediate updating. Best of luck to you guys in trying to resolve this challenging situation!
Thanks for your feedback and understanding. Is the site in question updating normally with AIOSEO deactivated?
Yes! Everything worked instantly after deactivating AIOSEO. Just let me know if you need access to anything and I can send you an email.
Also during the last support session with SG they said we should make sure there are no old files remaining from past security plugins, but we’ve only ever had Wordfence on there so I didn’t think too far into that. But this makes sense now. Would it help if I sent them a follow-up with this info?
I’m sorry to hear you ran into this issue. I definitely recommend forwarding this thread to SiteGround.
We sadly haven’t made any grounds with identifying what is going on here.
As for removing Wordfence, I recommend following this guide on how to remove everything.