Home>Support>WordPress 5.0 | Page Builder Gutenberg migration

WordPress 5.0 | Page Builder Gutenberg migration

Hi there,

In the post linked below I read there will be a migration option for existing pages with page builder content. Today I setup a new testing environment and downloaded the latest nightly WordPress build and tried to edit an existing page. But all content from the page builder is pushed into one single “Classic” block and I couldn’t find the migration option. Could you point me where I can find this option?

Thank you

Post: https://siteorigin.com/gutenberg-compatibility-page-builder/

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Themer

Thanks for reaching out.

With the rate at which Gutenberg has been changing and the various issues that have been coming up, we didn’t feel it was safe to put your existing Page Builder content at risk by automatically migrating it into Gutenberg. For this reason, we’ve chosen to keep your existing content safe in the Classic Editor version of Page Builder. This is the most reliable and time-tested version of Page Builder. There will be an update for Page Builder released tonight (GMT+2) that will ensure existing Page Builder pages automatically remain in the Classic Editor, even without the Classic Editor plugin installed.

You can manually migrate a page from the Classic Editor to Gutenberg by editing the page in question and going to LayoutsImport/ExportDownload Layout. With the JSON file downloaded to your desktop, you can import the layout into a Gutenberg page using the same process in a Layout Block. Within the Layout Block click LayoutsImport/ExportSelect Import File to upload your layout. If you’d like to migrate a page or pages before our next update of Page Builder, you’ll need the Classic Editor plugin installed.

Please, let us know as questions arise, we’ll do our best to assist.

2. 5 years, 9 months ago Themer

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your message. I totally understand this decision, the Gutenberg plugin is a pain in the … for many plugin and theme developers.

I think there is a miscommunication. The existing page builder content is not displayed in the classic WordPress editor or in the SiteOrigin Layout block for Gutenberg but all content is pushed below each other into one single block called “Classic” in the Gutenberg editor. Screenshot: https://cl.ly/ad25298ec7be.

Exporting the layout JSON file does not work because this tool is not added to the classic Gutenberg block. The only way to get the existing content back in the page builder grid is to add a SiteOrigin Layout block below this classic block and use the clone function to clone the actual page.

If the upcoming update replace Gutenberg with the WordPress Classic Editor so my clients doesn’t need to go through each page and clone them inside the SiteOrigin Layout block that would be great and save a lot of time.

I’ll give the update a try tonight.

Thanks

3. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for your understanding, sorry I wasn’t clearer. I think we’re mostly on the same page.

We’re working on a release for Page Builder, due to go out this evening that’ll ensure that existing Page Builder pages will open in the Classic Editor without the need for the Classic Editor plugin. To make that happen between now and that release, you’d need to install the Classic Editor plugin. To export a JSON layout now, before we release the Page Builder update, you’d need to activate the Classic Editor plugin. After that update, it shouldn’t be necessary.

If you’d like to run a test after the Page Builder update and let us know how that goes, that would great :) Thanks again.

4. 5 years, 9 months ago Themer

Thank you for explaining Andrew :)

Sure, no problem. I will give it a try and report my findings here.

5. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Super :) Chat then. Thanks

6. 5 years, 9 months ago Themer

Hi Andrew,

I just downloaded the update (v2.9.3) and everything seems to work fine for existing pages with the Classic Editor, I’m glad to see that :)

But a new issue has arisen. The SiteOrigin Layout block for the Gutenberg editor was working correctly in the previous page builder version but i think it is broken now.

Adding the block to the Gutenberg editor works fine (#1) but when you start adding a widget, row, pre-built template or use the clone option the block is empty (#2). In the previous plugin version the block showed it like this (#3)

#1 https://cl.ly/9fdc919ef0ac
    #2 https://cl.ly/9699939f7878
    #3 https://cl.ly/c46f3c253abc

7. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for this quick feedback, it’s most appreciated. We’ve rolled back the stable tag for Page Builder to the previous version while we investigate. We’ve reproduced the error. We’ll update again as soon as it’s resolved.

8. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Fixed completed, we’ll push an update shortly.

9. 5 years, 9 months ago Themer

Great! It works perfectly. Thank you for the prompt responses and updates.

10. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Super, thanks for support and assistance testing this update, it’s most appreciated :)

11. 5 years, 9 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Themer, if you’ve updated to the latest version of Page Builder, here is how new Classic Editor pages can be created without the Classic Editor plugin:

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More