Home>Support>Updates

Updates

Hello there,

Would someone please clarify a couple of questions on updates for me as I’m not too familiar with how things work:
1. In what cases it’s safe to update SiteOrigin theme and Page Builder, and when I may loose data?
2. What exactly does “Removed course toolbar links.” mean in the description of the new Page Builder update (2.4.21)?

Thanks a lot!

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 7 years, 8 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Express,

1. Yes, and it’s highly recommended that you do. Your data is stored separately too the plugin files so it’s unaffected due to an update. You’ll only lose data when a serious plugin conflict occurs.

2. We’re currently working on a course that users can do to help themselves get familiar with SiteOrigin page Builder. There, however, have been some delays and we sort of jumped the gun when introducing the toolbar link. As a result, we’ve removed the link for the time being to prevent any confusion.

2. 7 years, 8 months ago expressdd

Thank you Alex!

3. 7 years, 8 months ago expressdd

Alex, would you please confirm that updating the theme is safe as well?

Thanks a lot

4. 7 years, 8 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Expressdd,

It’s safe as long as you haven’t made direct edits to the theme’s files. If you wish to do that, you’ll need to use a child theme.

5. 7 years, 8 months ago expressdd

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. Three more questions please:
    1. Is it safe to just use the current version of the theme (it’s the previous one)?
    2. How long I can use it before it really becomes a must to update?
    3. What are the potential issues and risks for using one theme version without updating it?

Thanks a lot!

6. 7 years, 8 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Expressdd,

1. Yes.

2. This isn’t a simple answer as it depends on too many factors.

3. Outdated code, lack of bug fixes, etc. There are no major risks per say.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More