Home>Support>SiteOrigin North with 2 Sidebars ?

SiteOrigin North with 2 Sidebars ?

Hi,

Just wondering if it’s possible to add a secondary sidebar to north, and if so how ?

Right now the sidebar is on the right side of the page. I would like to add another sidebar to the left side at the same time, without duplicating the one on the right. Is this possible ?

Miles.

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 4 months ago Miles Works

Hi,

Just thought I would make things a bit easier with my question…

What I’ve done is I’ve gone through and modified all the places where sidebar is mentioned and modified them for a secondary sidebar. However, now my problem is that it’s not showing up. A secondary sidebar control shows up in the admin. But not on the page. In short, it’s not displaying.

Anyone want to take a crack at why it’s not displaying ????

Link below.

siteorigin-north-mod

Miles.

2. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Miles

Thanks for reaching out.

It, unfortunately, isn’t possible to add a second sidebar to North without custom development. You’d need to use a child theme, add your second sidebar widget area to the functions.php file in your child theme and then output the widget area in all applicable theme files within the child theme. Finally, you’d need to add styling for your new sidebar in the style.css file of your child theme.

We do our best to assist with small customizations. I can advise on this task, unfortunately, it’s a bit too big to do for you. If you’re feeling up for it, here is a child theme to get going with:

https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/siteorigin-north-child-starter.zip

3. 8 years, 4 months ago Miles Works

Andrew,

Did you download what I had done already….

I’ve done most if not all of the normal modifications….

The only issue is why isn’t it showing up or not being processed ?

The conditionals for it appear have all been met, there are no errors in the code, it’s just not showing up.

And no I don’t want to engage a ‘child theme’….I’d rather go down this route, it’s not THAT difficult to do this kind of work for me. I’m fully capable of doing this kind of modification to code…I’ve been a developer all my life so this isn’t THAT challenging or difficult. Just tell me where specifically I missed something…because I’ve checked and rechecked everywhere that it should show up and I clearly missed an activation somewhere.

Miles.

4. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

The challenge with not doing this in a child theme is your work is really easily lost, all you need to do is hit Update next to North on the DashboardUpdates page and your changes will be overwritten. If you’re making the changes to begin with, it really isn’t that much more work to put those changes in a child theme. You can, of course, backup your mod theme and not update but it means you lose out on the updates we release, the fixes and improvements made on the theme.

I did take a look at your theme, I’m unsure as to where the issue is.

I’ve started you off with a working left sidebar child theme:

https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/siteorigin-north-child-left-sidebar.zip

I’ve added the left sidebar to the page.php template as an example. You’d need to add the extra page templates to the child theme that you wanted to use and then edit them. I’ve done the initial CSS work in style.css in the child theme but there will most likely be additional responsive concerns. This isn’t a small customization task. Hopefully, you find this headstart helpful. I, unfortunately, can’t go any further with this customization request.

5. 8 years, 4 months ago Miles Works

Andrew,

Thanks.

I’lll have to look for another theme that does this natively.

I appreciate the suggestion and the work though.

I think the original 2016 will do what I need it to do. Sadly. I’ll have to tweak the hell out of it.

Here’s the frakked up part…if the footer appears and it’s running in all the same places…why can’t the second one appear ?

Thanks for the push off though.

Miles.

6. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

My reply had a typo, what I meant to say was I’ve already added the extra sidebar to page.php. It’s really quick for you to install the ZIP I provided from AppearanceThemesAdd NewUpload Theme.

I properly looked at your mod theme and unfortunately, can’t find the issue. Sorry.

7. 8 years, 4 months ago Miles Works

Andrew,

Wow! That’s so cool.

However, I think I need to look for a native solution.

:-(

Miles.

8. 8 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure, that’ll be much easier. Good luck.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More