Home>Support>Page Builder Not Working

Page Builder Not Working

Hello Site Origin team,

We have the latest version of SiteOrigin Page Builder. I am trying to edit a page that is set up with it. However, it’s not letting me add a row to even replace the content. I can try to add a widget, but then it doesn’t go anywhere because I can’t add rows.

Now when I try and create a new page, I am getting the same result.
Can you please give me some insight as to why this might be happening.

I love pagebuilder and I use it on several sites.

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Maria

Thanks for reaching out.

Please, try seeking a working baseline by temporarily deactivating all plugins not authored by SiteOrigin. In that state, does the issue resolve?

2. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hello Andrew. Thank you for replying!
    So, I deactivated classic editor and that did noting. Then I deactivated PagebBuilder and then I was able to edit. So I edited this one page that was set up with Pagebuilder but now I just edited with classic/the default. Then I reactivated it. The page I edited then regressed to pre-edited (when it wouldn’t update). Then, I re- deactivated PageBuilder and it reverted to my edited version. Any ideas?

3. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Maria

Is the Classic Editor the only plugin you have installed that isn’t authored by SiteOrigin?

4. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hi Andrew. It’s the only other editing pluggin as far as I can tell. What other pluggins are you thinking of that might be conflicting?

5. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

ANY OF THESE?
    10Web Social Photo Feed

Accordions by PickPlugins

Classic Editor

Coming Soon Page, Under Construction & Maintenance Mode by SeedProd

Custom Post Type UI

Duplicate Page

Duplicator

Google Analytics for WordPress by MonsterInsights

Head, Footer and Post Injections

Media Library Assistant

MetaSlider

Official Facebook Pixel

Page Builder by SiteOrigin

Really Simple SSL

SiteOrigin CSS

SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle

WP show more

WP Super Cache

Yoast SEO

6. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks. Please, deactivate all plugins that aren’t authored by SiteOrigin, it’s a quick test to run. At this stage, we aren’t trying to identify where the issue might be, we’re just stripping WordPress back to as much of a vanilla environment as possible to see if a working baseline can be found. Temporarily deactivate all plugins not authored by SiteOrigin, in that state, does the issue resolve. Please, let me know how that goes, it’s a very quick test, we’ll take it from there.

7. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Andrew. There are a lot of pluggins that are essential to our website working including tracking with codes embedded into them. I don’t think it’s possible to deactivate all pluggins that aren’t siteorigin.

Can you give it an educated guess and then I’ll deactivate one at a time? Please help with this as it’s essential we re-establish PageBuilder. Most of my pages are built with it and it’s super weird that PageBuilder isn’t working right now and to update my pages I needed to deactivate it.

8. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

If you’re concerned about clients seeing your site in an altered state, I can recommend using https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-maintenance-mode/. There is no danger of content loss during the plugin deactivation and reactivation process. The test is very quick. From Plugins, use the select all field then scroll down and ensure SiteOrigin plugins aren’t selected. Next, click Deactivate. Next, go to a page and see if the issue is persisting or not. Once you know the answer, go back to Plugins and reactivate your plugins, that’s it, done in less than 2mins. The process I’ve outlined is a standard WordPress troubleshooting process and routinely used.

Alternatively, if you are a technical user you can proceed to PHP debugging https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/ while recreating the issue as well as checking for console errors while recreating the issue https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis.

9. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

With regards to guessing which plugin might be causing a conflict. I’m not sure there is a plugin conflict, the purpose of the plugin conflict test is to ascertain that. There aren’t any plugins in your list that we have known issues with. If you’re using Yoast Premium, an outdated version from 2019 is producing a JavaScript error which negatively impacts Page Builder, otherwise, nothing jumps out. It’s also possible your theme could produce an error which can break plugins like Page Builder. We’d move onto that test next, assuming we could test for a plugin conflict first.

If you’d rather not run a plugin or theme conflict test you can move onto technical debugging mentioned above, PHP and JavaScript. However, a conflict can be present with no errors presenting. Yesterday I worked a case where an AMP plugin is removing Text widgets from Page Builder, a conflict test is the only easy method of finding that issue, the issue doesn’t produce PHP or JavaScript errors.

For similar advice from another source, you could try the steps outlined at the following URL https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/beginners-guide-to-troubleshooting-wordpress-errors-step-by-step/. Step 4 is a plugin conflict test but because we’re trying to find an issue with Page Builder, we leave all SiteOrigin plugins activated during the test.

10. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Okay. So, I deactivated everything not sitreorigin and then reactivated everything. Now, I can update PageBuilder! Thanks for the tip, Andrew.
    Since everything is reactivated, do you think this will happen again? Or did reseting everything somehow allow Pagebuilder to function properly?

11. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

I’m glad to hear you’ve made progress, that’s great news.

The purpose of a plugin conflict test is to establish a working baseline so that further testing can be done. If our forum posts aren’t clear or lack clarity, please, let us know. We do our best to write clearly, but sometimes get it wrong. The purpose of a plugin conflict test is to find a working baseline, in this case, to get Page Builder working normally. Usually, there isn’t anything to be gained by deactivating and reactivating plugins, that isn’t what I was asking for.

The purpose of the test was to see if Page Builder was still broken once all other plugins were deactivated.

If you didn’t check the issue once all non-SiteOrigin plugins were deactivated then the test wasn’t run. Perhaps the deactivation and reactivation cleared a cache, I can’t say.

12. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hi Andrew, So I did do the test and PageBuilder was working when I deactivted. When I reactivated it was also working. However, it’s back to not working. Can you offer some insights as to where to go from here? Thank you.

13. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Try recreating the issue and check for JavaScript errors on the page. Here is how https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis. If errors are present, they’ll be in red. If that’s the case, take a screenshot, upload it to imgur.com and send us the link. Thanks.

14. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hi Andrew, I just tried step 1 of this link you sent and it said to try it in a different browser. I use Chrome so I tried Safari and Page Builder seems to be working and saving…for now. Do you know where to go from here?

15. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

If you scroll down at the above link it provides instructions for all major browsers, including Chrome. The steps are almost identical. To diagnose a Chrome only issue, try clearing your browser cache. You can also try temporarily deactivating all browser extensions.

16. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hi Andrew. Thank you. There are a lot of red lines. I’m not sure what these mean. imgur.com is where I should upload screenshots?

17. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Try recreating the issue and check for JavaScript errors on the page. Here is how https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis. If errors are present, they’ll be in red. If that’s the case, take a screenshot, upload it to imgur.com and send us the link. Thanks.

18. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

https://imgur.com/E0nzIXJ
    https://imgur.com/NQ6CKyf

19. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Alternatively, Dropbox, Drive, any cloud location. Thanks.

20. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for the screenshots.

Given that the issue isn’t occurring in Safari:
    Have you tried clearing the cache in Chrome?
    Have you tried deactivating all Chrome extensions?

21. 4 years, 5 months ago Maria Kaestner

Hello Andrew, I did both of those things and it looks like PageBuilder is working again. I checked the JavaCode again and I don’t see any red. Do you think this another “clear cache” temporary fix like it did on Friday? Or does whatever’s blocking PageBuilder live in Chrome’s cache and extensions? Thank you.

22. 4 years, 5 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

If you reactivate all extensions at chrome://extensions and the issue does not reoccur then it’s likely that the cache clearing resolved the issue. When the issue reoccurs, ideally, enable debugging to see if any further information about the 503 error can be discovered.

More on 503 troubleshooting here https://kinsta.com/blog/http-error-503/.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More