Home>Support>Page Builder breaks in WordPress 5.5.1 but works in previous versions

Page Builder breaks in WordPress 5.5.1 but works in previous versions

Hi SiteOrigin,
I just came across a huge problem after upgrading some of my clients sites to WordPress 5.5.1. Basically page builder disappears and I can no longer edit existing pages or create new ones using it.

All I can on the page in edit mode is a slim grey bar at bottom of page underneath the Yoast section with the title on it on “Page Builder.” I tried everything such as disabling all plugins except site origin and nothing worked. But when I roll back to WordPress version 5.3.2, everything is back!

Are you guys aware of this incompatibility issue? This is huge for me as I am using page builder on several websites. I hope you can shed some light on this as it’s really urgent!

Daniel

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 3 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Daniel

Thanks for reaching out.

Page Builder is compatible with WordPress 5.5.1. There is most likely a JavaScript error on the page preventing other plugins, like Page Builder, from executing JavaScript. You can either troubleshoot the issue by extending your plugin conflict test or directly by checking for console errors. To extend your plugin conflict test, temporarily deactivate all plugins not authored by SiteOrigin and temporarily switch to a default theme like Twenty Nineteen. Test for the issue, see if you can find a working baseline. Alternatively, when the issue occurs, check for errors in the console. https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis. Errors will be in red text, the file path of the error will be on the right if present.

2. 3 years, 10 months ago dtjobrien

Thanks so much for your quick response! This is a client, and very active website so I can’t afford to put it back into the broken state in order to try your tests unfortunately because they get a lot of traffic all the time.

There are two things I am wondering about that maybe you could hep comment on…

1. The theme version is very old and needs to be updated to latest. Might that help? (Currently Artisan Themes “Nayma Theme”)
    2. The PHP version for the site is old as well, currently 5.6.40. Would updating PHP possibly resolve the problem?

Thanks!

3. 3 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi, thanks for your feedback. Have you checked the browser console when the issue occurs, the second option I mentioned above?

4. 3 years, 10 months ago dtjobrien

No I had not done that and am unable to unless I can find a way to update WordPress back to the latest, to test again. What did you think about my two questions above?

5. 3 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for the update.

You could perhaps clone the site to your localhost using Duplicator or All-in-One WP Migration and then safely test. Alternatively, some hosts have an easy way of creating a staging/dev site.

Page Builder minimum PHP version is inline with the WP min version of 5.6.20 so you’re fine there. The min version will most likely be updated by WP in the coming months so it’s worth planning for that. I can’t comment on the theme version, there is perhaps a JS error being produced by the theme.

6. 3 years, 10 months ago dtjobrien

Thanks for that I will consider doing that. I also had written the developer of the theme and he also said for me to make sure the theme is updated or it could cause some JS errors.

Thank you you have been great and really responsive for support! And I really like your products and hope you will continue to develop and support them.

7. 3 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Sure, no problem, let us know how it goes. Cloning the site to your localhost won’t take long, if you need to test a big PHP upgrade then it’s probably worth the effort. Thanks for your kind words and support, it’s most appreciated. Let us know how you get on. Cheers :)

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More