Home>Support>Page Builder 1.5 conflicts with short codes from another theme

Page Builder 1.5 conflicts with short codes from another theme

I just updated to Page Builder to 1.5 and there is definitely a conflict between this version and the short codes generated by a plugin called food and drink menu. https://wordpress.org/plugins/food-and-drink-menu/

If uninstall 1.5 and reinstall 1.4.10, it works well, no problems.

Not sure why the conflict. Can you help?

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 10 years, 2 months ago Dave LeBlanc

Sorry, that should have “conflicts with short codes from another plugin. Long night.

2. 10 years, 2 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Dave

Thanks for letting us know about that conflict. I’ll investigate it and see what could have caused this issue in 1.5.

The main change we’ve made in 1.5 is how home pages are handled. Basically the home page is now an actual WordPress page. We needed to do this because of recent changes in WordPress.org theme requirements. Hopefully we can get this sorted though.

3. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Greg,

Hello. Any idea what is causing the conflict with Page Builder 1.5 and Food and Drink plugin? Have you had a chance to look at it?

Thanks for an update if possible.

Dave LeBlanc

4. 10 years, 1 month ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Dave

Am I right in saying the shortcodes and widgets from the plugin are functioning ok in the Appearance >Widgets areas? Like header, sidebar and footer.

This is how it looks on my side.

If I’m correct then it might be helpful to drop the author a message and ask if they’d be willing to investigate the problem. This usually hints to widget behaviour that assumes the widget will be in a theme registered widget area and doesn’t account for Page Builder widget areas.

5. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Hi, Andrew.

Thanks for the replay and and I apologize for my late replay. I will check this out to see if it fixes the problem. Thanks for the help.

Dave LeBlanc

6. 10 years, 1 month ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure. Chat then.

7. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Hi, Andrew.

There is definitely a conflict of some sort between Page Builder and the Food and Drink Menu plugin.

If I use the widgets F&D includes it crashes the site completely. It won’t communicate with the database at all. In Chrome, I just get webpage is not available. This happens in both Page Builder Versions 1.4.10 and 1.5.

I had been using just short codes the F&D menu generates to show individual items in the menu and placing the short codes in the Enhanced Menu plugin to show them. It’s is the only way I can get two menu categories to line up side by side evenly.

I can do this in Page Builder 1.4.10, but not in 1.5. Using the F&D widgets in either Page Builder versions crashes the site. Deactivate F&D Menu and the site comes back.

Somewhat related, I had another issue before, a conflict between PB and F&D, only this time I was using the shortcodes for a menu and not for individual items in a menu. http://is.gd/l5COb2. I got around this problem by just pasting in individual menu item shortcodes. A bit tedious, but it worked.

I hope this all makes sense. I for the life of me can’t get these two to cooperate.

8. 10 years, 1 month ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

I can appreciate the frustration here. We have an ongoing list of plugins that are incompatible with Page Builder, most work but there are several that don’t – that we know of. The manner in which Page Builder creates widget areas is unique and definitely doesn’t work with all plugins. In almost all cases there is very little to nothing that can be done from our side. It almost always requires the plugin author to look into the issue, chat with Greg if needs be and make changes accordingly. I realise this isn’t what you’d like to hear here but it’s most unfortunately all I’m able to pass on at this time.

9. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

I have written to Nate Wright to see if he can offer any help. I hope he does have a chat with Greg and the issue would be resolved.

Thanks for the help.

Dave LeBlanc

10. 10 years, 1 month ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks Dave, let’s hope Nate can take a look.

11. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Nate replied back to me asking if your Page Builder is the Page Builder I was referring to. I am embarrassed to admit I forgot to supply him a link. Sheesh.

I did ask him to contact Greg.

12. 10 years, 1 month ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Sounds like a positive start. I’ll be on the look out for an incoming mail. Thanks.

13. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Hi Andrew. I am still having issues with PB 1.5 and the Food and Drink Menu plugin. I can run 1.4.10 and all is fine. Switch to 1.5 and get this in FireFox.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I think this is a database type error, but I am not sure. I have deactivated and reactivated all plugins and tried it all with the Twenty Fourteen theme and I get same results. I have cleared caches and tried different browsers.

Still the same result, 1.4.10, good, 1.5 bad.

What is different about 1.5 vs 1.4? It has to be in that somewhere. PB 1.5 seems to make two home pages. Is there a preferred way to deal with that? I have been using this in another site with no issues at all, so I don’t think it is that.

14. 10 years, 1 month ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

I might have missed this, but do you have a URL where I can see the issue in action?

15. 10 years, 1 month ago Nate Wright

Hi Greg and Andrew,

I’m the author of the Food and Drink Menu plugin that Dave is having problems with. I’ve finally been able to reproduce the issue and I think I’ve identified the source of the problem. I recently discovered that WP can’t handle nested filter calls (calling apply_filters( ‘the_content’ ) while inside of another hook on that filter). This may also be the source of some multi-language issues some of my users have been encountering.

If this turns out not to be the source of the issue, I’ll report back. Would be very interested in resolving any potential plugin conflicts as much as possible.

(PS – Your plugin looks nice. First time I’ve been able to have a look.)

16. 10 years, 1 month ago Dave LeBlanc

Hello everyone. Sorry to cause such a bother, but Nate has solved the problem. He sent me a couple of updated PHP files for his plug in and it all works.

Thanks for everyone’s help, really appreciate it. Mark this puppy resolved!

Dave LeBlanc

17. 10 years, 1 month ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Dave and Nate

Awesome, glad this is sorted. These sorts of plugin conflicts are always really difficult to diagnose, so huge kudos to you, Nate, for figuring this one out.

18. 10 years, 1 month ago Nate Wright

Great! Glad to get this one sorted out. All the best.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More