Home>Support>Hero video sound playing in background of android chrome 54

Hero video sound playing in background of android chrome 54

Hi,

I have a video hero background on my site(HeatMyHome.ie). For mobile I use css to “”display:none;” to hide the video and then show a mobile a hero.

My problem is that despite the video hero being hidden the audio seems to be playing in the background. I think this is a feature of android chrome 54. (https://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/16/chrome-54-background-html5-video-play-on-android/)

Is there a way to stop the media from being uploaded to the browser in the first place. eg wordpress has a “wp_is_mobile”, can i use this or similar in Page Builder?

If so, will this help on site-load-speed for mobile because this is very important.

regards
Ross

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 6 years, 2 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Ross,

Do you have a public URL where we can take a look at what’s going on?
    It’s not actually possible for videos to autoplay with sound on mobile devices so I’m not too sure why this is happening – reference. To clarify, the article you linked is only possible if you tell Chrome to do that.

2. 6 years, 2 months ago rmcmorrow

Hi Alex,

https://heatmyhome.ie is the url to my site.

android notification about audio

Im not sure if this is a setting I had applied to my phone because of Spotify. I also have an android Webapp that could be causing it.

any suggestions?

Ross

3. 6 years, 2 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Ross,

Can you please clarify on what page the audio is playing on? I’ve had a look around and I can’t seem to find it.

4. 6 years, 2 months ago rmcmorrow

Hi Alex,

The video is on the home page but its silent(view from PC). My issue is that the video hero is tying up resources on mobile devices, such as data download and battery life.

Is there a way in page builder to not send the video if requested from a mobile device?

thanks
    Ross

5. 6 years, 2 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Ross,

Are you referring to the image added as the slider background? If so, that video isn’t set to preload so it’ll only start to load upon the user pressing play. Regardless, there’s no direct way to hide the video for that widget. Your only real option would be to create a mobile-specific widget that doesn’t have the video set. The easiest way to do that would be to use Widget Options and use it to control the visibility.

6. 6 years, 2 months ago rmcmorrow

Hi Alex,

Yes I will try your suggestion.

thanks
    Ross

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More