Home>Support>Google webmaster — Missing: author Missing: entry-title Missing: updated

Google webmaster — Missing: author Missing: entry-title Missing: updated

Hi,

I found similar posts regarding this issue with Vantage. However I need customized and latest solution for this issue, as I already have a child theme (https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/vantage-child-ubermenu.zip) for Ubermenu plugin.

In Google Structured Data:

Missing: author
Missing: entry-title
Missing: updated

23 out of 24 published pages have this error.

I’m not sure if this issue is caused by the child theme or it’s Vantage issue in general? Please help.

Thanks,

Dao

Private Snippet

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

These 2 posts offer tweaks in function.php

http://www.drafie-design.nl/correct-hatom-errors-in-google-webmaster-tools/
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/google-webmaster-tools-structured-data-microformatmicrodata-hentry-errors

Maybe I need an integrated child theme for microformats and manual integration for Ubermenu? (latter is completed)

2. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Dao-huan Chang

Please can you go to Appearance > Themes, hover over Vantage Premium (parent theme), click Theme Details and let us know which version you’re running. The structured data issue has been resolved so ideally you shouldn’t still be getting these errors.

Thanks

3. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

It’s version 2.3.3

Error screenshot:
    Private Snippet

4. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

It’s strange. When using testing tool, hentry (1) –> All good. Through I’m not sure what it really means.
    Private Snippet

5. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Ahh right, I remember what the problem is. All the info Google is looking for is in the posted_on function, that’s bundled in with the page title. If you drop the page title with the Full Width, No Page Title template, you then lose the function. Let me see what I can do quick.

6. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Ok, here is a child theme to resolve:

https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/vantage-child-fw-no-title-google-authorship.zip

I made that for future use. You’re running a child theme already so:

1. Download the ZIP above.
    2. Assuming you don’t already have a “templates” folder in your existing child theme, copy the “templates” folder into you child theme.

Re-test. We should now be good.

7. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

Two questions before installing:

1. My existing ‘vantage-child’ folder has:

parts (folder)
    .DS_Store
    style.css

Your new child theme contains:

functions.php
    style.css
    templates (folder)

So I only need to copy your templates (folder) into mine, or I need to copy templates (folder), style.css, functions.php altogether and overwrite my existing style.css?

2. After installing, do I need to go to every page in admin, switch off Full Width – No Page Title template to something else?

8. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

You can just copy the “templates” folder from my child theme into yours using FTP or hosting file manager.

After copying the folder to your child theme you shouldn’t need to do anything. Perhaps just check that your Full Width, No Page Title pages are still running that same template.

9. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

Just did. Now I got a hcard warning. Screenshot:
    Private Snippet

10. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

So to confirm, right now in your child theme there is a “templates” folder containing a single file.

11. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

Yes, it was. It contained template-full-notitle.php

After the alert, I deleted “templates” folder from my child theme folder (vantage-child). Now testing result is back to “hentry (1) All good”.

12. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Could you put that folder back please and then send me a set of temporary login details to:

[email protected]

I’ll take a look. Not sure why the child theme isn’t using my new template.

13. 9 years, 6 months ago Private Message - Dao-huan Chang

This is a private message.

14. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

Folder is back. Email sent.

15. 9 years, 6 months ago Private Message - Andrew Misplon Hi, I Work Here

16. 9 years, 6 months ago Private Message - Andrew Misplon Hi, I Work Here

17. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

If I kept your “template” folder, I get warning on hcard. If I didn’t keep your “template” folder, no warning.

Either way is hentry (1) All good. Either way I’m not sure if it will solve this:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6sEkdhBySYvSDI5TC1HYVc3UzQ/view?usp=sharing

Should I keep your “template” folder?

18. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Rather keep the templates folder. The hcard warning isn’t a problem. It’s just one field that’s blank.

Looking at your screenshot, it looks like you’re looking at a crawl from yesterday. That’s most likely the problem there. See the date 3/16/15. How long have you been running the new template for?

You’ll need to re-test using:

https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/

19. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Definitely keep the new folder. The folder is responsible for adding the data you’re currently missing.

20. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

I will keep “template” folder and see if those 3 missing errors will go away. I may have to wait a few days for google to progress that graph. Testing tool seems only for testing, not for progressing the graph.

I also found 2 posts suggesting some code, which is missing in my source code (equipped with “template” folder).
    http://wpbeaches.com/google-structured-data-testing-tool-wordpress-error-warnings/
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/webmasters/cw5EUZBCGDw

21. 9 years, 6 months ago Dao Master

Looking deeper, they are suggesting the same thing: itemprop, itemscope, itemtype , which my source code are missing.

22. 9 years, 6 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

I’m pretty sure we have date, updated and author covered. Let’s wait a couple of days and see if it resolves.

23. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Huan Chang

Hi Andrew

I have the latest update of everything. But the old

still persists. Google Developer Testing Tool still shows:

hcard (1) 1 Warning
    n [n]:
    Node is empty. Double check that this is desired and consider removing.

Is there latest solution regarding these? Your admin log-in to our website is still valid.

Thanks.

24. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Hi Andrew

I have the latest update of everything. But the old

still persists. Google Developer Testing Tool still shows:

hcard (1) 1 Warning
    n [n]:
    Node is empty. Double check that this is desired and consider removing.

Is there latest solution regarding these? Your admin log-in to our website is still valid.

Thanks.

25. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for the feedback Dao. I’m checking now, will get back to you ASAP.

26. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

If you have FTP access, please download your child theme from /wp-content/themes/ and send to me in a ZIP format. You can reach me on email at [email protected]. I’ll take a look from there.

Thanks

27. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Child theme attachment sent:)

28. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks. Mmm ok, so that looks in order to me. We’ve added the necessary details to the full width no page title template.

Did you test on your home page? If so, could you please go to Pages > Home and check what page template you’re using there?

29. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Just tested homepage – No hcard (1) warning.

Homepage is using ‘”Page Builder Home” template.

30. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Can you try switching that template to Full Width, No Page Title and see if there is any change?

31. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Structured Data in Google Webmaster indeed does not include homepage. Homepage seems ok.

32. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

:) then I’m confused. Let me take another look.

33. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Trying now.

34. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Result:

Homepage using ”Page Builder Home” template – no hcard warning.
    Homepage using ”Full Width Page, No Title” template – gets hcard warning.

35. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hate to go around in circles here. But to confirm, that’s a warning, not an error. From what I remember it wasn’t a hard fail, the data was there it was just warning about the format or naming convention etc?

36. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Clarifying previous statement:
    Structured Data in Google Webmaster indeed does NOT include Homepage (Page Builder Home template) for the old Missing: author Missing: entry-title Missing: updated error.

It seems ”Full Width Page, No Title” template causes hcard warning, which results in Missing: author……

37. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Yes, just warning. hcard warning.

38. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Besides hcard warning in Testing Tool, those Missing: author…. screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6sEkdhBySYvN2h3eWlzWkkydG8/view?usp=sharing

I understand hcard warning may not be a big deal. But Missing: author…. could be annoying… thank for the help anyway.

39. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Phew, really not sure what’s up here. Check this out:

This is one of our error pages:

Private Snippet

If I inspect the source, I find all the missing data there:

Private Snippet

Although looking at it now. Entry title is missing. This is because it’s a no title page template and we didn’t include the title in the entry meta. I’m not sure why it fails on the author and date. Those are in the code.

What about trying this plugin on one page, test that page and see if it helps:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/schema-creator/

Alt: http://wpsites.net/seo/schema-microdata-wordpress-plugin/

40. 9 years, 4 months ago Dao Master

Ok, I’ll try and let you know a few days later.

41. 9 years, 4 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks, chat then.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More