Home>Support>Fontawesome breaks 301 Moved when changing my uploads directory location

Fontawesome breaks 301 Moved when changing my uploads directory location

Hi again im wondering if you can help me on this as it only seems to be happening with vantage for me

I always change my uploads directory and move it from outside of wp-content folder when creating a new website for security reasons of my own.
However when i move it out of wp-content and put it in example: wxw.mywebsite.com/uploads then all the font awesome icons break on vantage and show a broken image where as everything else including every other plugin works just fine.

However if i move it to another directory and rename it within the wp-content folder everything works just fine example: wxw.mywebsite.com/new-directory/uploads.

But this is really no good to me i want to continue to move my uploads folder outside wp-content like i always have done on many many builds without problem in the past.

Have you done some declaration for font awesome to use the standard path of wp-content/uploads or something that’s causing this?

if i check my website using gtmetrix before moving the upload folder everything is fine and if i then check it again after moving the folder to its new location and check the waterfall then the website hangs for over 5 seconds and shows in the connection that 2 instances of font awesome are now causing the redirect issue and are marked as 301 moved.

Any help on this would be appreciated as i’m stumped.

You can quite easily recreate this yourself and you will see the problem as i cannot give access to my server at this time. thx

SORRY FOR MAKING THIS DUPLICATE THREAD BUT I NEED SUPPORT FOR THIS AND I FORGOT TO ADD MY PREMIUM ORDER NUMBER TO THE OTHER THREAD.

Would it not be better to let users edit a thread in-case of a mishap like this?

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 10 months ago Nutwinz

Hey before you reply i noticed an error in my writing on the second paragraph when i was explaining i meant to put this

However if i move it to another directory and rename it within the wp-content folder everything works just fine example: wxw.mywebsite.com/wp-content /new-directory/uploads. ( i missed puting WP-CONTENT in the url )

2. 8 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi :)

I’ll pick this up shortly. Thanks.

3. 8 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Nutwinz

Do you have a public URL where we can take a look at what’s going on? If you need to keep this URL private from other users, just select “Private Reply” on the bottom right of the comment box.

4. 8 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

(https://davidwalsh.name/cdn-fonts)

5. 8 years, 10 months ago Nutwinz

Ty Andrew for your fast reply.

Im afraid i dont have a public url for you as i have a coming soon page active and cannot give you log in details etc as i have locked out all ips via htaccess but my own for logging in and i have custom cookie based authentification and new wp-admin url structures you see, if the site was live all would be good and id give you a link gladly.

However reading the link above you posted is interesting ‘ i often read articles on david walsh’s website as he has some golden solutions posted on there’ .

I will have a look deeper but if you could try this out for yourself in the meantime too you should see the problem first hand on a new install if you move your uploads folder outside of wp-content.

6. 8 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Perhaps, check your Settings > General page. This problem usually occurs when setting your WordPress and Site URL differently.

7. 8 years, 10 months ago Nutwinz

No it has nothing to do with that Andrew i have tested it on wordpress standard settings too, i wouldn’t even post here if this was the case, , i have been using and building with wordpress for alot of years i amno novice user who is new to how wordpress works? come on man, why would you think i would overlook general settings in wordpress? especially when explaining to you about how i use wordpress above, that answer is just about as help-full as telling someone who knows nothing about computers to turn it off and on again to fix it.

I don’t understand why you cannot just fire up a new install of your theme change the wp-content/uploads folder to outside wp-content folder and make use of some font awesome fonts on a test page and see the issue yourself, this would take what? 5 mins max to do. then the explanation of everything is there for you to see direct. :)

8. 8 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve replicated your setup. There is no impact on my side to Font Awesome. You can check the functions.php file in Vantage to see the enqueue, it looks as follows:

wp_enqueue_style( 'font-awesome', get_template_directory_uri().'/fontawesome/css/font-awesome.css', array(), '4.2.0' );

If the site with the problem is live, please, ensure the issue is current and visible and then send the URL so we can take a look. You can use the Private Reply checkbox bottom right.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More