Home>Support>Escaped HTML since 2.29.16

Escaped HTML since 2.29.16

FYI, I’ve also asked this on the WordPress.org support forum on a similar sounding issue…
https://wordpress.org/support/topic/these-strings-use-the-esc_html-function-and-are-not-translated-14/

Or, it may potentially/also relate to

Technical changes cause issue with page builder since update 2.29.17 for shortcodes

To reiterate:
I have a problem to do with escaped html showing instead of formatted text in some widgets. After quite a bit of troubleshooting (down to a minimal install) I’ve identified that the issue was introduced in SiteOrigin 2.29.16

I’m using Reuseable Content Blocks to allow me to create SO layouts that I can deploy with a shortcode and it previously worked fine. Now certain text blocks are rendering as escaped html – so I see unrendered tags in my content onscreen.

Even on the same page, some widgets (e.g. Siteorigin Editor and Arbitrary Text) render formatted text as expected, but others (Accordion, Custom HTML, Enhanced Text) show html-tags/escaped-html. SO versions prior to 2.29.16 render fine. I don’t even need to re-save the page when I rollback versions

If this is due to a security change, would it then require Reuseable Content Blocks to fix it, and if so, can you advise what is required?

Thanks in advance

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 25 days, 7 hours ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch. Based on your outline, the WordPress.org thread you linked is unrelated – that’s a translation issue rather than an output issue. The other thread could be related, but it’s hard to say.

Can you please send me a copy of the HTML you’re trying to add that’s not outputting as expected? Please paste the HTML into a Pastebin and reply with a link. This will rule out potential formatting issues.

Is this the plugin you’re using?

Kind regards,
    Alex

2. 25 days, 6 hours ago johnAq

Hi Alex

Thanks for getting in touch.

I’m just trying very basic html at the moment to reproduce (“<p><b>Arbitrary</b> text</p>” kind of stuff), although previously I’ve done more in-depth custom post type stuff. Not sure how to put something on Pastebin that will illustrate anything. I can certainly give you a breakdown of the issue I’m seeing and how to reproduce.

This is the plugin I’m using (I’ve also posted a support topic there)

https://wordpress.org/plugins/reusable-content-blocks/

I’ve got a bare-bones temp WP installation reproducing the error at the link below. I can probably give you admin access to this if that will help

https://presenthouse.s1-tastewp.com/sample-page/

Here is the Siteorgin layout in the Reusable Block

Here is the layout on the page which simply calls for it

Here is the rendered page

Here are the plugins on that site – if I rollback SiteOrigin to 2.29.15 the text all displays correctly

Thanks again and please let me know if you need anything else

3. 23 days, 9 hours ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi John,

Thank you for clarifying. I’ve had a look at how that plugin works, and this is exactly like the result outlined in this thread.

Due to a security flag, we had to restrict HTML from being in the Page Builder fallback content. This restriction will cause issues when Page Builder isn’t able to render the page. This restriction isn’t something that can be lessened. To resolve this issue, the developers of that plugin will need to add direct integration for Page Builder. That thread contains a snippet that will allow that.

Kind regards,
    Alex

4. 22 days, 17 hours ago johnAq

Thanks Alex – I suspected that might be related.

Strange though, that some widgets render correctly formatted html while some are escaped. Can you shed any light on what’s the difference between widgets that work and those that don’t?

5. 21 days, 20 hours ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi John,

Unfortunately, it heavily depends on how the underlying widget functions and how the shortcode handles the output. Though, none of it’s truly reliable in terms of output due to the unfortunate security changes that were required. The fallback should really be seen more as a very basic (and potentially not representative) output and something that can be used to reimport the layout if needed.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Please log in to post on our forums. Signing up is free.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More