Home>Support>Conflict with WordPress 5.0.2, Akismet and page builder?

Conflict with WordPress 5.0.2, Akismet and page builder?

Hey there,

Whoa! Have had major issues with my edits in page builder suddenly not saving this afternoon. I’ve read every post about page builder not saving edits and have tried about a million things. Finally think I have it figured out:

There seems to be a conflict with WordPress 5.0.2 (I believe my managed WordPress site was updated to 5.0.2 earlier today), Akismet, and SiteOrigin page builder. With Akismet activated, there is unpredictable saving behavior for changes in row elements in the visual editor (for example, if I add a background image to the row element it will not save. But if a background image is added to the widget it saves). Some recent tweets about Akismet and WordPress 5.0.2 updates messing stuff up made me play around with this more. It seems that when Akismet is deactivated the saving of changes to row elements seem to work as expected.

If anyone else experiences problems with edits in the row elements not saving try deactivating Akismet and please post if that helps. Or if someone has advice on how to fix this issue please also post.

Thanks!

Patrina

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to replicate this. Does this issue occur when the only plugins enabled at SiteOrigin Page Builder and Akismet?

If so, would it be possible for you to create a temporary admin account for us so we can log in and take a look?

2. 5 years, 9 months ago Private Message - Alex S Hi, I Work Here

This is a private message.

3. 5 years, 9 months ago Private Message - WordPress

This is a private message.

4. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Unfortunately, I’m unable to replicate this issue. I created a test page and I’m able to apply a background without issue.
    Does this issue occur when you’re editing a specific page or trying to use a specific background image?

5. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Just to confirm – I enabled Askimet before testing.

6. 5 years, 9 months ago Patrina Pellett

Hey there,

Thanks for looking into this. I was working on the home page specifically and had issues with any image.

Steps to recreate: in pages > edit home page, add a row, then add a background image to the row (not a widget in the row), save and publish. If
    Akismet is deactivated this will save the background image. If Akismet is active the media selection as the background image will not be saved and will not appear on the published page. If you go back to the row where the background image was selected, it won't show that any image was selected.

Would it be possible for me to show you via screenshare? Or I can make a video for you tomorrow.

7. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Thanks. I’ve been able to replicate this issue locally. I’ve logged this issue with the development team.
    You can avoid this issue by editing the page directly. To do this please navigate to WP AdminAppearanceHome Page and click Edit as Page.

8. 5 years, 9 months ago Patrina Pellett

Hey there,

Many thanks again.

If I go to Appearance > Homepage > Edit As Page and make changes here it doesn't save the history and it reverts back to an old version of that page. But if I go to Pages > Edit and makes changes here, everything saves and it doesn't revert back to the old version. I can also see that the edits log is saved when editing through pages. Just wanted to clarify that when editing through Appearances > Homepage this seems to create more errors/problems.

Thanks again and please keep me posted.

Patrina

9. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

That’s odd. When you click Edit as Page, you’re redirected to the base page which is the same as if you were to open the page through WP AdminPages. I just tried to replicate this and I can’t. To confirm, the background image isn’t saving or are changes, in general, not saving for you?

We’ve identified the cause that is preventing the Background Image from being saved when using the Custom Home page editor. This issue will be fixed in the next Vantage update.

10. 5 years, 9 months ago Patrina Pellett

Hey there,

Cool! Thanks for the update and the awesome support.

It is not saving changes in general when making edits through the Appearance route, but it's working fine with Edit as Page. So maybe not worth chasing a bunch especially since you can't replicate it?

11. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to replicate that. Does this occur when you (for example) add an Archives widget? I suspect this may be (indirectly) fixed for you after the next update.

12. 5 years, 9 months ago Patrina Pellett

Hey there,

Here is the click path: Appearance > Home page > make changes such as removing a border from a row element > scroll down and click the 'Save Home
    Page' button. Then go look at the published page. It has some weird old version and didn't save any of the changes you made. If you go back to the row you were editing none of the edits are there.

You did this when you were poking around my page trying to replicate the other error and I fixed it by restoring to an older version in Pages > Edit and saving there. I haven't deleted your login and it's fine if you want to go poke around, but please don't break the page. Or let me know if you do.

Hope that helps and that the update fixes it. I'm just glad there is a reasonable workaround (i.e. only editing through Pages > Edit). I almost lost my mind on Tuesday.

Thanks again,

Patrina

13. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Thanks. That’s due to a legacy setting check that affected the Design Row Style for the Custom Home Page. This should be fixed in the next theme update as I’ve added an additional check to account for the Custom Home Page.

14. 5 years, 9 months ago Patrina Pellett

Sounds good!

I can't thank you enough for your excellent support. Please relay this to your boss and tell him I said he/she should give you a raise.

Thanks again!

15. 5 years, 9 months ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Patrina,

Thank you for your kind words! :)
    Let me know how you go with the next Vantage update.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More