Home>Support>Child Theme Issue

Child Theme Issue

By alismith98, 8 years ago. Last reply by Alex S, 8 years ago.

Hi there,
I recently created a child theme for a website I’m creating that uses the SiteOrigin North Theme. After creating the child theme, I pasted in my new style sheet CSS into the ‘Editor’. The website looks as it should; however, I’m now getting an error message the says…

‘This theme is broken. Template is missing. Standalone themes need to have a index.php template file. Child themes need to have a Template header in the style.css stylesheet.’

This is my first time creating child theme, so I’m not sure how to address this issue. How should I correct this error?

The website this relates to is derekscott.ca

Thank you,
Alison

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 1 month ago alismith98

I found the solution…I replaced the upper portion of the style.css sheet with this instead:

/*
    Theme Name: North Child
    Author: SiteOrigin
    Author URI: https://siteorigin.com/
    Description: North Child Theme
    Version: 1.0.0
    Template: siteorigin-north
    Text Domain: siteorigin-north
    Domain Path: /languages/
    */

/* =Theme customization starts here

Is this correct? It fixed the error message, but should the version still be 1.0.0.?

Thanks!
    Alison

2. 8 years, 1 month ago Alex S
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Alison,

The child theme header you used looks fine, but the final line will cause you issues if you decide to add CSS to this stylesheet as it’s not a complete comment. You need to close it by putting */ at the end of the line.

For more information about child themes please refer to this page.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More