Home>Support>Can I delete Page Builder 1.3.7.2-mod?

Can I delete Page Builder 1.3.7.2-mod?

An outside vendor created a site for my school’s homepage using Page Builder plugin version 1.3.7.2-mod. When I recently updated WordPress and consequently this plugin, the content created with this plugin disappeared, so I reverted back to 1.3.7.2-mod. I’ve since figured out all fixes required to replicate the homepage and have successfully updated the plugin to Version 1.4.12. But I’ve been keeping the old version of this plugin “just in case”, but am tired of the older version nagging me to update. Can I safely delete this older version of the plugin? I would also like to know if this scenario of losing content with every update is the norm.

Can you offer any best practices for updating, installing and deleting specifically relating to this plugin? Any advice is most appreciated.

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 26 days ago Andrew Misplon Hi, I Work Here

Hi

Losing content when updating Page Builder is definitely not a norm.

You can view our version history for Page Builder here: http://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/developers/. I’m almost 100% certain we’ve never released a version with -mod in the title, this could hint to the developer modifying the plugin.

If your site is successfully running with Page Builder 1.4.12 activated and the -mod version de-activated, then you should be in the clear. Before deleting it I’d recommend making a backup of the plugin folder which you can find on your server at /wp-content/plugins/ via FTP.

Two other quick notes. Page Builder doesn’t successfully migrate via database Import/Export at the moment. So included in your backup regime should be an XML export via Tools > Export, Page Builder content does move nicely via XML.

2. 8 years, 24 days ago Greg Priday Hi, I Work Here

Hi gingerkitty

Page Builder 1.3.7.2-mod is a modified version of Page Builder, created by another developer. What’s generally referred to as a fork. As far as I remember this version ships with a premium theme on Theme Forest.

I assume they’ve kept everything compatible with our version, but it might be best to contact them directly. Only they can be sure of what changes they’ve made and whether those changes are forward compatible with our version of Page Builder.

3. 8 years, 21 days ago gingerkitty

Andrew and Greg,

Thank you for your insight and help with trying to decipher this plugin. Because of your suggestion that it was bundled with the theme, I took a closer look at it. The theme is called Smart Mag by ThemeSphere and it indeed has it’s own section for plugins I’d not noticed before. Page Builder is the only one present in this section, has source as Pre-Packed, Required and installed but not activated. This makes me think I shouldn’t delete it, although I wish I could turn off the nag to update, but I don’t have the time to deconstruct it’s connections, so I’ll have to leave it for now and eventually nag ThemeSphere for a solution. Thanks again for enlightening me..

(short rant) I wish I could explain to my boss that though an outside vendor can provide a quicker turnaround in regards to a website redesign, the job left to the in-house designer requires its deconstruction in order to manage this shiny new, expensive website that will cost more in the long run. If only I had been given sufficient time.

4. 8 years, 14 days ago gingerkitty

Updating and closing this topic: Yesterday, I copied the mod plugin folder as suggested and deleted the mod plugin thru wpadmin… so far, I see no ill effects. And thanks again for the general guidance for this plugin.

5. 8 years, 13 days ago Andrew Misplon Hi, I Work Here

Super, thanks for the update. Glad to hear everything is working normally.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More