Home>Support>A few questions

A few questions

By chrisfit, 9 years ago. Last reply by chrisfit, 9 years ago.

Hi,

first I want to say thank you very much for this very very cool WP-Tool.
Now I would like to change a few things but I don’t know how:

How do I change the Font color and size of circle icons? (as seen on the home page)

How do I change the Font size in the menu?

I would like to have a sort of “box” around my menu items (like on this site: www.t-nation.com), how do I do that?

How can I change the font color of “recent posts” “site admin” etc. on the blog sites of my website?

When I click on the different segments of my blog it says on top “category archives”, how can I delete this?

Thanks in advance for helping me,

Chris

URL: http://www.chrisfit.at

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 9 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Chris

Thanks for running Vantage.

1. Here is a full set of selectors for the circle icon widget. Insert what you need to change into Appearance > Custom CSS and edit as required:

/* Circle Icon Font */

.circle-icon-box { font-family: Arial; }

/* Circle Icon - Icon Font Size */

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box .circle-icon [class^="icon-"] {
    font-size: 24px !important;
    }

/* Circle Icon Heading Color */

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box h4 {
    color: #3b3b3b !important;
    font-size: 14px !important;
    }

/* Circle Icon Text Color */

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box p.text {
    color: #5e5e5e !important;
    }

/* Circle Icon More Link */

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box a.more-button {
    color: #3b3b3b !important;
    }

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box a.more-button:hover {
    color: #dd3333 !important;
    }

/* Vantage set Circle Icon Widget Icon color */

.widget_circleicon-widget .circle-icon-box .circle-icon [class^="icon-"] {
    color: #FFFFFF;
    }

2. Insert the following under Appearance > Custom CSS and edit as required:

/* Vantage Set Menu Font Family and Size */

.main-navigation {
    font-size: 12px;
    }

3. Your menu will look boxed if you select the boxed layout version of Vantage at Appearance > Theme Settings > Layout > Layout Bound. This is unfortunately the closest we can get to that.

4. Insert the following under Appearance > Custom CSS to change your sidebar widget heading color:

/* Vantage Sidebar Widget Headings Color */

#secondary .widget .widget-title {
    color: #3b3b3b;
    }

5. There are two options outlined here: Thread: Remove “Category Archive” Title. 1 is a child theme and another is a snippet of CSS. See how you come along there.

2. 9 years, 10 months ago chrisfit

Hi Andrew,

thank you very much for you fast and very! helpful reply!

1., 2. and 5. worked perfectly!
    3. Ok it ain’t that easy for me to explain. I don’t mean the box around the whole page I mean the “look” of a box around the menu words (like home, blog etc.). With the mentioned site it’s a red “box” around the words with a very small black line between. And if the mouse gets over it, it changes the color. I know how to change the color but I don’t know how I put this small line between the words. I hope I made myself clearer this time (English is not my mother tongue).
    4. Worked too but I mean all the other parts too :) So not only the heading, but also the links and link color

I’ve got two more questions:

5. How can I change the size of of the vantage headline and sub-headline?

6. I would like to have my website in German, so is there a way (for me) to change everything english related to german? For example things like “Page not found” or similiar.

3. 9 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure.

Here is a thread where I tried to assist with adding lines between menu items. Should do the trick:

Thread: Vertical line between menu items

To change the headline widget you’d need to add the following to Appearance > Custom CSS and edit as required:

/* Vantage Headline Widget */

.widget_headline-widget h1 {
    color: #444444 !important;
    font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif !important;
    font-size: 26px !important;
    text-align: center !important;
    }

.widget_headline-widget h3 {
    color: #666666 !important;
    font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif !important;
    text-align: center !important;
    }

6. This does unfortunately require a theme translation which is a bit of a process. Here is a tutorial on the topic:

http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-theme/

Once you have your .po and .mo translation files you’ll need this child theme: https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/vantage-child-translation.zip. Download it to your desktop. Unzip it, insert your lang files in the languages folder. Then re-zip it and install via Appearance > Themes > Add New: Upload Theme.

Activating a child theme does cause a reset of Appearance > Menu, Appearance > Customize and Appearance > Widgets so test it out before re-doing those settings.

4. 9 years, 10 months ago Chrisfit

Hi Andrew,

Ok it looks better without lines :)

If I change the language, does this include all the plugins? If so, do I have to install it first and then do the change or does it change automatically when the child theme is activated?

And how can I change the color of the WHOLE side bar widget (not only the headline)

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

5. 9 years, 10 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure.

The translation we’re discussing is only for the theme. That would cover things like post meta data that appears under post titles. Plugins need to be translated on their own, unless they have language files ready. When you change the language of your WordPress install, nothing happens. When you activate the child theme and your translation files are inserted as described, the installation then has access to lang files that match the language it’s setup for. At that stage the translation takes.

For the sidebar you could try something like this:

/* Sidebar */

#secondary * {
    color: #fff;
    }

6. 9 years, 9 months ago chrisfit

Hi Andrew,

I’ve got another question. When you look at a blog post you see a short version first which ends on […]. How can I link “[…]” to the long blogpost (right now you get only linked if you click on the mini picture or on the headline)? So when you click on “[…]” it sends you directly to the post.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More