Home>Support>5 Vantage Questions

5 Vantage Questions

I know that’s not a helpful title, I can’t possibly summarize everything in one phrase though ! Sorry.

First of all I’d like to say that Vantage is an amazing theme and with the Premium Upgrade I am able to do nearly everything I want to. Nearly. Here are my questions:

1) Is there a way to create a collapsed menu on the left of the screen ? I mean something like this: www.beyonce.com

2) How do I change the color of the font in the Blog area where it says “Leave A Reply…” etc. ? Since changing to a dark background you can barely read anything there.

3) I am having trouble putting an image right at the top of the page, with no space between menu and picture. I have tried using different Custom CSS provided in different threads with this question but nothing seemed to have worked.

4) Is there a way to align the title of Blog Posts in the middle of the page ?

5) How do I change the font-size of the Headlines ? (eg. Headline 1, Headline 2…) I need them to be even bigger.

Thank you for your help.

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hey Phil

Thanks for your support :)

1. Not within Vantage. You’d need to try hunt down a plugin to help with that. https://wordpress.org/plugins. I don’t have a recommendation, sorry.

2. Please, send a link to your site.

3. Please, send a link to your site.

4. Sure, will do once we’ve taken a look.

5. Insert the following at Appearance > Custom CSS:

/* Vantage Heading Styles */

.entry-content h1 {
    font-size: 24px;
    }

.entry-content h2 {
    font-size: 18px;
    }

.entry-content h3 {
    font-size: 16px;
    }

.entry-content h4 {
    font-size: 15px;
    }

.entry-content h5 {
    font-size: 14px;
    }

.entry-content h6 {
    font-size: 13px;
    }

2. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Do you have a public URL where we can take a look at what’s going on? If you need to keep this URL private from other users, just select “Private Reply” on the bottom right of the comment box.

3. 9 years, 21 days ago Phil West

Damn that was fast.
    Forgot to include the URL, sorry.

http://phil-west.com

4. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Just luck timing :)

Thanks

5. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

2. Appearance > Custom CSS, adjust as required:

/* Comments */

#comments-title, #reply-title {
    	color: #444444;
    }

4. Appearance > Custom CSS:

/* Entry Titles */

#page-title, article.post .entry-header h1.entry-title, article.page .entry-header h1.entry-title {
        text-align: center;
    }

6. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

3. Is tough. On pages you could quite easily insert a single image Meta Slider using the Page Slider drop down menu in the right column. It’ll list any sliders you have available in the Meta Slider plugin.

This option isn’t available for posts, unfortunately.

But, for posts, we could just say:

/* Single Posts */

.single #main { 
    padding-top: 0;
    }

That assumes you have a featured image added for each post.

7. 9 years, 21 days ago Phil West

1) Thanks for the heads up, I’ll try and find something.

2) Works perfectly. Thank you.

3) I had it set up with Media Sliders earlier and wanted to change and use pictures as an insert. I’ll probably go back and use the MetaSlider again. Thanks. The code for the posts works perfectly.

4) Yes ! Easy fix.

5) Making the headlines bigger did work. However, if there is a headline that is 2 lines or longer, the words overlap (as seen here: http://phil-west.com/some-pictures ) Is there a way to adjust the spacing between new lines ?

Thanks for your help, Cheers.

8. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Really glad to see you’re making progress.

Sorry about the header issue, that’s strange. Try adding line-height: normal to your headings Custom CSS:

/* Vantage Heading Styles */

.entry-content h1 {
    font-size: 24px;
    line-height: normal;
    }

.entry-content h2 {
    font-size: 18px;
    }

.entry-content h3 {
    font-size: 16px;
    }

.entry-content h4 {
    font-size: 15px;
    }

.entry-content h5 {
    font-size: 14px;
    }

.entry-content h6 {
    font-size: 13px;
    }

line-height: will accept a px value if you want. Hope that helps.

9. 9 years, 21 days ago Phil West

You’re a legend ! That’s really good. Thanks a lot.

I’ll try some stuff out, if I have further questions I’ll let you know lol.

10. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Awesome :) Glad to hear that helped.

Chat soon. Cheers!

11. 9 years, 21 days ago Phil West

Okay, one more thing.
    Unfortunately I am having no luck in finding a Plugin that does the Menu collapse thing like I want it to.
    That’s fine. Now, is there a possibility to do something like this in Vantage: http://www.the-band-concord.com

Where the menu is transparent and on top of an image ?

12. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Unfortunately, also not possible with Vantage. In general with themes and plugins. If you don’t have a developer working with you or aren’t one yourself, you ideally need the theme/plugin to do what you want right out the box. If not, it does put you in a custom dev. situation. Sorry, wish we had more on this.

13. 9 years, 21 days ago Phil West

Alright, thanks for that :)

14. 9 years, 21 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure. Thanks for your understanding.

15. 9 years, 19 days ago Phil West

After trying out a different theme, which was terrible by the way, I’m back with you.

I have another question. Do you know of any other way to insert a background image onto a certain part of the Website ? I know of inserting it as a background to a widget or to a row, the problem is that is (vertically) not big enough if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help.

16. 9 years, 18 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

For sure :)

The main container has a background option at Appearance > Customize > Theme Design > Page > Page Background. It’s really meant for something super subtle as it goes behind the content.

17. 9 years, 18 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

We could try target another background container for you if you let me know which page you’re checking out.

18. 9 years, 18 days ago Phil West

I’ve seen that too, the thing is I want to insert it at specific places only.
    Let’s say on the Homepgage ( phil-west.com ) I want an image under NEW + those three Soundcloud links.
    Then I want another background Image under NEWS + MEDIA and the Blog carousel and stuff. Does that make sense ?
    I wondered whether that was possible.

19. 9 years, 18 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Let’s say on the Homepgage ( phil-west.com ) I want an image under NEW + those three Soundcloud links.

The way it’s setup right not there isn’t a single container there. As an experiment you could try this:

1. Create a single row for all the content that you want to have a background image.
    2. How you’ll get your layout into this single row is via the Layout Builder widget. This lets you have a Page Builder layout in a single widget. Get where I’m going with this? Just an idea.

You might want to create a new page, click Prebuilt in Page Builder, clone your home page and just mess around there.

TLDR: My idea is to use single rows for your background images. How to still have your multi-row layout in a single row? Use the Layout Builder widget. Mess about and see if this might work.

20. 9 years, 18 days ago Phil West

That’s an amazing idea and I’m definitely getting closer to where I want to be.
    Now, 2 more questions.

1) Is there a way to negate the gap between widgets ? Is there a “widget padding” sort of thing that I could set to 0 ?
    2) When I choose Full Width Page in the row settings the image is beautifully displayed in the background, however I do not like that the content extends out to the sides as well. When I choose “Full Width” however, the image in the background does NOT extend to the sides. Is there a way to keep the content boxed (like it is currently) but still have the image extend to the sides ?

21. 9 years, 17 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

1. Try editing the widget click Layout on the right and set Padding to zero. I’d need to take a look at the specific instance to help further.

2. Full Width should do what you want. Be sure to add the background image via the Theme tab on the right when editing the row.

22. 9 years, 17 days ago Phil West

1. I tried that before and sadly it didn’t work. This is the testing page: http://phil-west.com/?p=2146
    There is space between the first picture, the second picture which is used as a background and the 3rd picture that’s also used as a background. I was wondering whether one can negate that. It doesn’t matter too much since I am probably going to have a picture only every second widget but it’d be nice to know !
    2. Works like a charm !

23. 9 years, 17 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Some of the space can be handled by editing each row, clicking the Theme tab and enabling the “No Bottom Margin” setting.

Can you let me know once that’s done to each row and I’ll take another look.

24. 9 years, 14 days ago Phil West

Yes, yes, yes. Flawless !
    Thanks Andrew.

25. 9 years, 14 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Super, glad to hear you made progress :)

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More