Home>Support>Vantage Child-Theme

Vantage Child-Theme

Hi, trying to set up a vantage child theme. Set up a new folder at the wordpress install and also the following style.css with this code below, but does not work- the preview of the site is totally distorted without headers etc.. Please help why?

the code I am using is the recommended one

/*
Theme Name: Vantage Child
Author: SiteOrigin
Template: vantage
Version: 1.0.0
*/

@import url(“../vantage/style.css”);

do I need to transfer any other file when creating the child?

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 9 years, 3 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Upasna

Thanks for reaching out.

It should be possible to create a child theme with a style.css file alone. We suggest enqueuing the parent CSS file vs using @import. I’m not sure why yours isn’t working. Perhaps give our stater child theme a try:

https://siteorigin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/vantage-child-starter.zip

The child ZIP can be installed from Appearance > Themes > Add New: Upload Theme.

Hope that helps.

Reminder: You only need a child theme if you need to edit a theme file other than style.css. If you just need to make CSS changes then we’d recommend using our Custom CSS plugin:

Page: SiteOrigin CSS Editor

Let us know if you have any questions.

2. 9 years, 3 months ago Upasna Kakroo

Hi Andrew,

thank you for your kind response.

here’s the issue: I have used the Vantage theme and customized my site fully – not by changing any PHPs physically but by using the customizations available in theme settings and WordPress as such. Now Vantage has a new update – can I update to the new one without the fear of losing my customizations? Do I need a child theme?

Upasna

3. 9 years, 3 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

If you haven’t used Appearance > Editor and have only used Appearance >Theme Settings > Appearance > Customizer then you are safe to update and don’t require a child theme. All theme settings, plugin settings and content is safe during the update process. When WordPress themes update they overwrite their own folder so the risk is with files that you’ve edited the code in. Everything saved in the database, content, settings is safe.

Summary: You don’t require a child theme, you can safely update.

4. 9 years, 3 months ago Upasna Kakroo

worked! thank you Andrew. I upgraded to premium too. This is the best theme I’ve ever used. You guys are wonderful.

5. 9 years, 3 months ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Awesome, really glad to hear you made progress. Thanks for your support, it’s most appreciated!

All the best with your site. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Cheers for now :)

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More