Home>Support>Error 500

Error 500

Recently my site started not loading. Whenever I try and open either my website or my WordPress backend, I get either a blank white page or a white page that say Error 500. When I try again I get in, but each first attempt encounters this problem.
I spent some time with GoDaddy (my host) on the phone troubleshooting because I thought the problem might be there. We disabled all of my plugins and the problem is not with GoDaddy or plugins. GoDaddy was able to replicate the problem on most of their efforts (though not all… depending upon which web browser they were using apparently).
GoDaddy tells me the problem is with my Vantage Premium Theme.
I need your help please. This must be fixed. Not only will people abandon efforts to access my site, but I also can no longer advertise with LinkedIn because they say the links to my site are broken.

URL: http://www.christopherbabson.com

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 8 years, 10 months ago Christopher Babson

It’s been 8 days since i asked for support. Any chance there’s a professional person on your staff?

2. 8 years, 10 months ago Christopher Babson

My next comment will be on WordPress & elsewhere letting people know about your buggy products and total disregard for support.

3. 8 years, 10 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Christopher

Sorry about the delay here. Unfortunately there’s no order number associated this thread so it didn’t get properly prioritised. We offer free community and premium support on these forums and the order number is how we tell these 2 types of threads apart. There is a field asking for the premium order number when you post a thread.

Which version of Vantage are you currently using? Also, if you temporarily switch to a default WordPress theme like Twenty Fifteen, do you still get this same error? For the 500 errors, have Godaddy been able to provide you with a PHP error locating the cause? This would be a huge help in figuring out what’s going on.

One thing you can ask Godaddy to do is increase the memory limit associated with your WordPress install. This is fairly easy to do and can solve these sorts of issues.

4. 8 years, 10 months ago Christopher Babson

Hi Greg. I’m using Vantage Premium. I previously tried with another (default) theme and it worked fine. GoDaddy felt that the only possibility is a bug in theme.

5. 8 years, 10 months ago Greg Priday
    Hi, I Work Here

Would it be possible for you to check which version of Vantage you’re running? You can see this by navigating to Appearance > Themes and checking the version number for Vantage Premium. Something you could try is reinstalling Vantage from a fresh ZIP file. You can download this from your original order email and here are instructions for reinstalling – Page: Updating a Theme Using a ZIP File

If there is a bug in Vantage, it will generally create a PHP error. Especially for a 500 error. Would it be possible for you to ask GoDaddy if they can give you that error message. This would be a huge help in figuring out what’s going on.

Have you tried asking GoDaddy to increase the memory limit associated with your WordPress install? This is fairly easy to do and can solve these sorts of issues.

6. 8 years, 10 months ago Christopher Babson

I’m using 2.4.4. I will reinstall and also contact GoDaddy to increase memory. Will let you know if these steps resolve the issue. Thanks.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More