Home>Support>Custom CSS Not Working

Custom CSS Not Working

Hello,

I am trying to use Custom CSS, and none of it is working. When I click on links in Custom CSS, it takes me directly to a that link’s page or post, which has never happened before. Usually the only way I can see a new page or post is if I copy and paste the link in.

Also, the inspector feature is not showing and there’s no way of selecting an item on the page to change it in Custom CSS.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is our free support forum. Replies can take several days. If you need fast email support, please purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license.

1. 4 years, 23 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi Erik

Thanks for reaching out.

To follow-up on our earlier chat, one way to proceed is to run a quick conflict test. With Twenty Twenty theme activated and all non-SiteOrigin plugins deactivated, does the issue resolve?

2. 4 years, 13 days ago erikbuchinger

I use the SportsMag Theme. Should I deactivate the SportsMag Theme and activate the Twenty Twenty theme?

3. 4 years, 13 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Hi, yes, that would help to rule out a theme conflict and a plugin conflict. Try testing SiteOrigin CSS with all other plugins deactivated and Twenty Twenty as your activated theme.

4. 4 years, 10 days ago erikbuchinger

I tested everything deactivating every plugin and changing themes. Nothing has changed, and I cannot change anything on my SportsMag theme Custom CSS.

5. 4 years, 10 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks for the feedback. To confirm, with all plugins deactivated except for SiteOrigin CSS and the Twenty Twenty theme activated, SiteOrigin CSS still isn’t working?

If the above is true, please, try opening the Visual Editor in SiteOrigin CSS and check for console errors in red. Here is how https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis. If errors are present, take a screenshot, upload it to imgur.com or similar and send us the link.

6. 4 years, 10 days ago erikbuchinger

Hello,

Yes the SiteOrigin CSS still isn’t working. I don’t know if this Imgur thing will work since I’ve never used it before.

https://imgur.com/a/g3u20ca

7. 4 years, 10 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Thanks, please, try contacting your hosts. Send them the screenshot link. Kindly ask if they can check ModSecurity or similar logs to see if there are perhaps false positives being triggered. The 403 errors are caused by the server blocking scripts.

8. 4 years, 10 days ago erikbuchinger

I have been having all sorts of issues with a variety of areas on my site. Is this something I would take to my theme template (AccessPress) or the actual hosting site (Bluehost)?

9. 4 years, 9 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

You can quickly eliminate your theme as the issue by temporarily switching to Twenty Twenty or any of the default WordPress themes, if the console errors and problems persist, it most likely isn’t related to your theme. You can certainly chat with Bluehost but it really helps to have a specific question. Sending the screenshot from imgur.com and asking if files are perhaps being blocked by ModSecurity is something they can check. Let us know how it goes. Thanks :)

10. 4 years, 9 days ago erikbuchinger

Okay, I just changed themes to TwentyTwenty and I do see that Custom CSS works there. So it’s definitely a theme thing, correct?

11. 4 years, 8 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

It sounds like the theme might be producing JavaScript errors. If the theme is activated and all plugins are deactivated, are there JavaScript errors present when editing a page in WordPress?

12. 4 years, 5 days ago erikbuchinger

Sorry, I’m not too familiar with too much website stuff, so I’m not sure the answer to that question.

Unrelated, but here is an exchange I had earlier today regarding my SEO scores on my site. They believe it has something to do with Site Origin. Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

Me:
    Today, I noticed the posts on my site have bad SEO scores, and under the analysis it says each of the posts we uploaded today have 0 words even though they’re roughly 500-word articles and doesn’t recognize any of the internal/external links. I’m wondering why this is and how I can fix it.

WordPress Support:
    If your page has content and you are receiving the message of ‘The text contains 0 words’ this is typically due to the content of the page being created outside of the default WordPress editor. Some page builder plugins are not able to share the content created in them with the readability analysis feature of Yoast SEO.

Can you let us know if you are using a page builder plugin such as Visual Composer, Site Origin, Beaver Builder etc to create your page’s content? The SEO and readability analysis feature scan sometimes not work correctly if you are using some kind of visual page builder, as they can cause the page’s content to not be accessible to the plugin due to it being created outside the functions of the standard WordPress page editor.

We have additional information available on this issue at the following link: https://kb.yoast.com/kb/error-text-contains-0-words/

13. 4 years, 5 days ago Andrew Misplon
    Hi, I Work Here

Sorry, my reply was missing a link. Here is how to check for JavaScript errors emanating from your theme. Temporarily deactivate all plugins. Edit a page and open the browser console. Here is how https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-your-browser-to-diagnose-javascript-errors/#step-3-diagnosis. Are there errors printed in red? If so, take a screenshot, upload it to imgur.com, or any cloud sharing site and send us the link.

Page Builder shares content with Yoast. Which version of Page Builder are you using? If your theme is producing JavaScript errors it could potentially be impacting other functionality like Page Builder parsing content to Yoast.

Replies on this thread are closed. Please create a new thread if you have a question, or purchase a SiteOrigin Premium license if you need one-on-one email support.

Get The Most Out of SiteOrigin with SiteOrigin Premium

Find Out More